Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Chalk

I found Chalk to be an entertaining documentary/drama about the encounters of teachers. Overall, I felt that at times it was more dramatic and unrealistic than a true-life scene in a classroom. First off, I was surprised by the beginning statistic that 50% of teachers quit after their first year of teaching. I never realized how high the rate was. Watching the first year history teacher, Mr. Lowrey, I was able to observe some of the obstacles in first year teaching. One problem I noted was that he hadn't originally intended on being a teacher; instead he began his education in computer sciences. I think it's important to have a passion for your career. Unfortunately, I felt like Mr. Lowrey lacked that excited attitude instructors should have. The main issue that Mr. Lowrey faced was classroom management. His students didn't seem to be terribly interested in his information, and he failed to make history exciting and establish their desire to learn.

Beyond Mr. Lowrey's downfalls, I was able to notice a few positives throughout the movie. I really enjoyed watching him compete in the Spelling Hornet. I felt like he was making a true attempt to connect with his students and build a relationship with them. He took time out of his day to personally connect with his students on things that were interesting to them outside of history. I also thought that his library visit was an indication of his persistance. Mr. Lowrey was clearly facing difficulties within his classroom and went out to find resources to fix them. By spending time changing his approach, he showed a want to keep learning. This is an important quality for teachers. Just because they becoming the ones presenting information does not mean that they can stop learning. Expanding personal knowledge is a trend that should continue throughout life, especially in the first years of a chosen career.

No comments:

Post a Comment