Thursday, February 19, 2009

Paper Clips


I found "Paper Clips" to be an interesting yet informative video about the important aspects of teaching. Not only was the project inventive, it actively engaged the students. It was a unique way to get students active and "hands-on" within the classroom. One concern I had while watching the video was how the teachers could possibly assess the students' learning. According to our reading about E.L. Thorndike, measurement of learning is an important tool required of a classroom setting. Towards the end of the movie, I saw that the students gave tours to community members and field trip groups. This was an example of how each student was held accountable for what they learned throughout the process of collecting the paper clips. In terms of developmetal appropriateness, I thought that this was a great lesson for the children. They were able to get involved and learn history at the same time. No matter what age group, the Holocaust is a sensitive subject to take in and understand. The teachers and project leaders did a wonderful job of supporting students during emotional struggles and allowing them to discover the brutal treatment of the Holocaust victims. Another strong point from the instructors was their ability to bring in survivors from the historical time. This brought reality into view; the students were finally able to comprehend that their project was making a difference in others' lives. They could see the suffering Holocaust victims endured, and it made Paper Clips that much more important to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment